My Maintstream Moment

Friday, February 5, 2016

Published: September 2, 2015
I'm not typically one to care about anything mainstream or MTV but can we just pretend that I am for a moment?! I didn't watch the VMAs earlier this week but at this point I might as well have. I'm sure I am not the only one that has scrolled past hundreds of videos and outtakes from the show the past few days. I am nosey by nature and all too curious so, I have clicked on a few and I have to say, I am appalled.


Before I go any farther let me just say, this is most certainly not a holier than thou post so, don't even start with me there. I am, by no means, perfect and Lord knows, I've never claimed to be. However, just because I am not perfect does not mean that I am not allowed to point out wrong doings.


I know, you're expecting me to comment on Miley and Nicki right? Lord bless them both. They're really just two huge walking disasters but if you want a comment then here it is... Ladies. Did your momma not teach you better?! I won't say that it's our generation as a whole but a whole lot of our generation lacks any form of class and it's a little more than disgusting. First off, this happened. That's an issue in itself. How is it not embarrassing to act that way? To this day my momma would've come up and yanked me off the stage for not only using those words in public but for behaving the way that they did. Secondly, we clapped. Well, some of you clapped. I did not. America clapped for this. Are you kidding me?


Hold on. Time out. I can already tell that with where this post is going that we are going to need to talk about this first. Clapping. We clap for someone when they've done something good. We clap for someone when they deserve recognition and we are happy for or proud of them. We do not clap for someone because they are stupid or embarrassing. I clap for my son when he holds his bottle by himself or when he stands by himself without holding onto anything (he's 9 months old). Let me know if you're still confused by this and I will send you a video example.


Anyway, we clapped. You clapped. They clapped for this stupid, hostile, embarrassing interaction. We said, "YAY! GOOD JOB!" Are you kidding me?! REALLY?! Okay then.


Moving on... Speaking of clapping, you clapped for Kanye?! What the heck did he even say? Do you know? If you know then you were as high as he was, I'll tell you that much! Be honest, you have no idea what he was talking about but, you clapped for him anyway. I have seen several websites that have been kind enough to type out the speech for us to try to understand it but even in print it makes no sense. Yet still, he received a huge applause which, quite frankly, terrifies me.


"Ya’ll might be thinking right now, ’Did he smoke something before he came out here?’ The answer is yes, I rolled up a little something. I knocked the edge off!" - Kanye West, 2015 VMAs.


The above got one of the loudest responses of the night. Why would you cheer for this? It's not okay. Maybe I'm not cool. Maybe I'm stuck up and preppy or whatever it is you want to call me but, the last time I checked drugs, in any form other than prescription, are illegal. How can we cheer for and condone this type of behavior? Why is this okay? Why are we clapping for this garbage?! He wants to be a role model for teenagers, heck, he wants to be president and this is the way he behaves? And we clap because we are okay with that?The crazy thing is, you were all cheering the night of this occurrence but the next day your Facebook and Twitter posts were halfway bashing him. Make up your mind. Are you with him or not?!


I guess what I have learned from all of this is that, as a whole, we don't really seem to care what anything is about or where it comes from. All we are concerned with is whose name is on it. Who said it? Where were they at when they said it? How many people heard? What was everyone else's reaction?


We care more about the messenger than we do the message and unfortunately it is the message that makes the messenger. They hung Jesus on a cross because of his name, because of who He claimed to be, not because they knew him or His word. You clapped for Miley because she's crazy Miley and you love that she's crazy. You told Nicki, it's okay to act in hate. It's okay to be idiot in front of millions of people. It's okay because you're Nicki and you're a millionaire and everything you say or do is gold. You told Kanye that yes, drugs are so illegal, but YAY! You openly admitted to being high, in public, in front on millions, on stage, being recorded on videos that will be around forever. Good job, man.


Is this who we are? Is this who we are going to be? A generation that is controlled by pretty names and shiny clothing is nothing that I want to be a part of. Are we going to just sit back and clap because Kim Kardashian said it or Taylor Swift sang it and let everyone make decisions for us? It's starting to get a little more than ridiculous. If you aren't as upset by this as I am then maybe you need to watch the videos again and really pay attention to the crowd and if you are well, at least you aren't alone with your feelings. Regardless of your opinion on the matter, just remember, "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything."


   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top